How to get NASA HD??
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R
2010-08-15 03:38:33 UTC
I have an analog c/ku dish system and a fast computer.

I would like to find a reasonably priced PCI HD DVB-S
receiver to get and record NASA HD. Other free programming
would be a plus.

This can be with XP or Linux.
JAB
2010-08-15 17:42:36 UTC
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/hd/
Jim
2010-08-24 16:20:45 UTC
Post by JAB
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 22:38:33 -0500, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R
Post by Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R
I would like to find a reasonably priced PCI HD DVB-S
receiver to get and record NASA HD. Other free programming
would be a plus.
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/hd/
I couldn't find anything about HD Cband or KU feeds on that
site, could you steer me to the correct place where it gives
all the details one needs to tune it in on a BUD?

Jim
JAB
2010-08-24 19:06:56 UTC
Post by Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R
details
http://www.lyngsat.com/
JAB
Btw, what bird is NASA on?
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R
2010-08-16 08:16:12 UTC
Post by JAB
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 22:38:33 -0500, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R
I would like to find a reasonably priced PCI HD DVB-S receiver to get
and record NASA HD. Other free programming would be a plus.
Btw, what bird is NASA on?
The NASA web site gives the details of the NASA HD channel.
But it does not indicate which, if any, of the low cost PCI
cards are capable of actually receiving the HD programs,
hence my original post.
JAB
2010-08-16 17:22:09 UTC
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 03:16:12 -0500, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R
Yes...URL
Steve Smith
2010-09-02 21:52:53 UTC
Post by JAB
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 22:38:33 -0500, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R
I would like to find a reasonably priced PCI HD DVB-S receiver to get
and record NASA HD. Other free programming would be a plus.
Btw, what bird is NASA on?
The NASA web site gives the details of the NASA HD channel. But it does
not indicate which, if any, of the low cost PCI cards are capable of
actually receiving the HD programs, hence my original post.
Any PCI DVB-S card will receive HD as long as the HD is in MPEG2 format
and not Mpeg-4. The HD is a function of the codecs installed rather than
the card itself. For Mpeg-4, though you will need an 8PSK capable card -
which is a DVB-S2 card. For NASA HD you can get it with any cheap PCI
card. Most normal codecs will work for the HD as it is just simple HD on
those channels.

Steve
Rich Piehl
2010-08-25 02:18:16 UTC
http://www.lyngsat.com/amc3.html

4000H
JAB
2010-08-25 02:28:28 UTC
thanks, they sure moved it from years ago..AMC 7 or so then
Rich Piehl
2010-08-25 02:37:58 UTC
Post by Rich Piehl
Post by JAB
Btw, what bird is NASA on?
http://www.lyngsat.com/amc3.html
thanks, they sure moved it from years ago..AMC 7 or so then
They were AMC 6 for a year or more before moving to AMC3 a couple of
months ago.
Steve Smith
2010-08-16 20:04:09 UTC
Pretty much any PCI DVB Receiver will get it since it is mpeg2 rather than
mpeg4. The software and the codecs determine if you get HD or not. If it
was MPEG4 - then you would need one that supports 8PSK or DVB-S2, but the
NASA HD feed is MPG2 so you can get it with any PCI Card. If you want to
see all of the other great cable type HD programming, you will definitely
need an S2 receiver.

I would be looking over EBay for used FTA HD STB units if NASA is what
you're looking for as they are going for almost nothing now that Dish has
been constantly attacking the pirates and shutting down the IKS servers out
there. Noone wants them anymore! If you can find a cheaper AZBox or
Vantage, I believe they not only will both do 8PSK, but will also do 4:2:2
chroma which is also becoming more popular for the cable type television on
satellite for free.

By cable type, I'm referring to SPEED, FMC, HBO, Showtime and FX along with
tons more available as of now on FTA in the clear!

Steve
This can be with XP or Linux.
Jim
2010-08-24 16:16:51 UTC
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 16:04:09 -0400, "Steve Smith"
Post by Steve Smith
[...]
Could you advise just where one could find a list of the channels
you mention? I might be interested in upgrading my BUD also. Are
they C band or Ku band or both? If you could advise where I could
find a tutorial or explanation of what the FTA STB receiver is you
mention and what it does, and so forth.

Thsnk you,

Jim
Steve Smith
2010-08-31 05:57:20 UTC
Post by Steve Smith
[...]
Yes Jim, I can. The best place for Ku programming information would be
http://fridgefta.info and the best place for C Band programming
information is at rick caylor's site. You can google this and it will
show up - probably reference to motorsports or something like that -
it's the same place.

Both sites have stores attached to them and the pricing is very good and
both also completely support the products they sell. Rick's site is
best for the azbox reciever and there is tons of people there using that
box to ask questions about it.

Steve
Jim
2010-09-04 13:53:10 UTC
Post by Steve Smith
[...]
I bought my Pansats and supplies from Rick. Thanks for the lead.

Jim